There's so little going on in the collegiate realm since it's still September, so I can be forgiven for bouncing back to elite for the moment.
We have the offical Code for 2013-2016, so there is much to digest.
You can download it in the WAG section HERE if you don't have it yet.
Most of this is similar to the provisional code from earlier in the year, so I won't address most of that in detail, but there is also some interesting new stuff here that I will react to in no particular order after the jump:
- I'm most interested in the new "Series Bonus" on beam which provides .10 for any connection of three acro elements valued at at least B+B+C. This means that D+B+C will be .10 instead of .20 (yay) but also that some easier combinations of three elements can also receive .10. I think I'm pro this move, but we'll have to wait and see. This will be in addition to any CV earned in the combination, so C+C+C will now receive .20 in CV and .10 in SB. Don't worry if you don't get it yet, we will learn. Under this rule, a combination dismount like B+B+E will now be .10 instead of .20.
- They've backed off the artistry deductions on beam that they presented in the provisional code, but there is now a .10-.30 deduction for lack of confidence, personal style, and uniqueness in the routine. Love it if it's applied correctly, which it won't be.
- No more combo pass requirement on floor (!). Instead, the double salto and full turn salto requirements are each different CRs. (Why not get rid of the dance combination while you were at it? Ugh.)
- Removal of the .30 floor CV from the provisional code. I'm actually glad they did this because I thought .30 for C+E indirect was too much, but others will disagree.
- UGH. They kept the D acro + A dance connection for floor. It was supposed to be changed to D+B. Not. Wanted.
- Similar to beam, they have backed off the artistry deductions on floor. It's a nice gesture but this is a little toothless. I do enjoy the deduction for the inability to play a role or character in the routine.
- Good use of photos of Philipp Boy.
- Downgrades of vaults are in line with the provisional code. Handspring rudi is down to 6.2, Produnova is down to 7.0, Tsuk 2.5 is down to 6.5, Amanar down to 6.3, Cheng down to 6.4. I appreciate their trying to keep vault scores down, but they've missed the point about non-Yurchenko vaults being undervalued.
- Shushunova on bars down to an E instead of a G. Good.
- Kochetkova on beam now an E instead of a D.
- Split jump with 1.5 turns and straddle 1.5 on floor are now D instead of C.
- Cat leap and tuck leap 2/1 in floor are now C (kill me).
- Double front 1/2 is now an F. Finally.
- Double double tucked is a new H skill for .80. Did we need that to happen? Double layout 1/1 is also an H. We did need that to happen.
- They had four more years to learn how to spell people's names in the named skills section and still no progress. Sigh.
- There are more things that we already knew about because they were part of the provisional code (like no more bail HS+stalder shoot connection on bars and no more .20 CV for E+E pirouetting), and I'm sure I missed some things, but these are the thoughts for now.